Work in an environment that is always uptempo.
Steinway & Sons is seeking individuals who possess the desire, passion, and experience to join our organization in producing, selling, or supporting the world’s finest pianos. We offer unique opportunities in Manufacturing, Marketing, Finance and other corporate functions in our New York City locations.
Our Retail sales organization has a variety of sales related roles based in our New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Florida, California, Seattle and Chicago locations.
If you are interested in one of the open positions below or would like to know more about becoming part of Steinway & Sons, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Steinway & Sons is seeking an experienced Rental Manager, with a passion for luxury and a love of the arts, for flagship store Steinway Hall.
The right candidate has a proven track record in a proactive approach to sales, with past experience in business development, lead generating activities and generating sales prospects. The candidate must have an outgoing and engaging personality who can engage and build relationships with clients on many different levels. While the ability to play piano is not a requirement for the job, it is highly preferred; musical and tonal understanding is highly beneficial as our clients often seek guidance and recommendations during instrument selections. In addition to focusing on showroom sales, a large part of this job will involve outreach and business development.
- Responsible for renting pianos for home use through a combination of handling showroom visitors, email leads and an active outreach program.
- Increase and maintain a number of rental pianos out in the market place to generate rental income and customer awareness to our Boston/Essex Brands.
- Increase sales through a rental program approach.
- Meet and exceed sales objectives and goals as agreed upon with Sr. Director, Retail Sales.
- Pro-active approach in promoting all rental programs – this includes attending and developing off-site promotional and prospecting events in high traffic areas such as mall placements, local shopping centers, home shows, trade shows, designer conventions, etc. to prospect and increase rental customers.
- Handle all administrative duties in connection with the rental program – computer entry, maintain inventory records, review and address receivables, and maintain active rental agreements.
- Develop a teacher network in the defined pro-active area and promote our teacher programs.
- Assist the retail sales floor and remote events as needed.
- Handle Music Festival piano arrangements.
- Prepare and submit paperwork in accordance with current Company policies.
- Prepare weekly call reports that detail the sales activity for the week. At the Company’s request, submit reports pertaining to sales forecasts, specific sales plans, and market analysis.
Qualifications, education and experience:
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree and experience in customer service or sales.
- Outstanding business development and sales management skills –ability to build relationships.
- Superior communication, planning and organization skills.
- Highly motivated, results-oriented self-starter with excellent problem solving skills and the ability to work independently and drive new business with the ability to sell.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Basic knowledge of MS Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Ability to interact with all levels of the organization – sales, marketing, senior management, key customers.
- Ability to sell.
- Integrity, strong work ethic, and exceptional initiative and innovative skills
- Piano or music experience /background preferred.
- Min. 2 year experience within luxury / professional sales in a commission based environment.
- Note: Candidates must be able to lift 20-50 lbs. and be able to stand and/or walk for extended periods of time.
- This position requires some domestic travel.
Steinway & Sons is seeking an experienced Finance/Legal Coordinator for our office located in Astoria, NY. This role is responsible for providing project and administrative support for the Finance and Legal teams, including providing support on key initiatives, project work, general administrative tasks, and meeting and travel planning.
- Support monthly budget process
- Assist in the preparation of material for quarterly board meetings and government reporting
- Code and submit invoices for payment
- Maintain files
- Assist in the formatting, drafting, and revision of legal contracts
- Administer use of and maintain form documents, filings and legal agreements
- Maintain Board of Directors meeting minutes and update corporate legal entity charts
- Update and maintain legal library, filings and documentation
- Project management and coordination for various projects including bank calls, leadership meetings and other projects as needed
- Prepare meeting agendas and assist in developing presentations and financial reports
- Schedule and organize meeting logistics including room set up, refreshments and technical needs
- Support travel and expense planning and reporting
Qualifications, education and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of office experience
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
- Ability to multi-task, organize work flow and prioritize efficiently
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including comfort in dealing with senior management
- Proactive approach and able to anticipate potential issues before they arise
- Self-starter with excellent problem solving skills and the ability to work independently with strong attention to detail
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion
- Experience supporting finance and/or legal function or as a corporate paralegal preferred
- Familiarity with financial data and financial statements is a plus
Manager, Cost Accounting
Steinway & Sons is seeking an experienced Cost Accountant for our office located in Astoria, NY. The Cost Accountant is responsible for planning, directing and providing necessary oversight to the Cost Accounting function together with one direct report.
Key responsibilities include active participation in all cost accounting functions including recommending, implementing and monitoring cost control methods, developing standard costs, facilitating external audits, conducting & reconciling physical inventories and ensuring timely & accurate disbursements. Assist in the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting and analyses as it relates to gross margin and inventory areas including preparation of written commentaries quantifying risks & opportunities to budget, forecast and prior year.
- Accountable for the development of Company cost and inventory accounting policies and administer approved accounting procedures to ensure compliance. Particular emphasis on maintaining internal controls and facilitating external audits.
- Prepare and review monthly cost accounting journal entries and create product cost statements and operating reports.
- Accountable for the monthly reconciliation of all inventory related balance sheet accounts, investigate inventory expenditures, cost of goods sold and variance data.
- Recommend, develop and implement methods to improve calculating and controlling costs by developing effective partnerships with Manufacturing and Procurement.
- Compile gross margin data for use in developing operating budgets and forecasts.
- Review bills of material and labor routings for standard cost roll up. Prepare cost estimates and ROI for new or proposed products, projects and programs.
- Maintain integrity of production job order cost and MRP systems by working closely with manufacturing, engineering, production control and procurement.
- Ensure the accuracy of inventory records using cycle counts and annual physical inventory.
- Work closely with the VP, Finance and other senior management to monitor key financial performance indicators and make recommendations to improve performance.
Qualifications, education and experience:
- BS in Finance or Accounting required / CPA or MBA preferred.
- 7 to 10 years related cost accounting experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Strong knowledge of GAAP, especially as it relates to inventory and cost accounting.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint; experience with Microsoft Dynamics Navision and Host Analytics desired.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, the ability to work collaboratively with peers and senior management, the drive to continuously improve performance and the presence to lead and actively participate in meetings.
- Demonstrated ability to influence business initiatives.
- Opinion is sought out by business partners for advice and solutions; uses sound financial analysis to support the decision making process.
Steinway & Sons is seeking an experienced Foreman for our manufacturing facility located in Astoria, NY. This role is responsible for but not limited to maintaining production and quality by ensuring operation of machinery and mechanical equipment as well as supervising staff.
- Coordinates and oversees the industrial repair of production equipment and maintenance work assignments performed by internal company maintenance technicians or contractors
- Assesses equipment, materials and labor required to complete a wide range of machine repairs and maintenance tasks to insure that jobs are complete to high standards
- Proactively seeks out waste of resources and initiates actions to improve methods and reduce costs
- Assists in the selection of new hires as well as on going coaching, development, and disciplining of current union maintenance staff. Involved in day-to-day supervising and work assignment to insure work force productivity
- Ensures that maintenance employees gain and maintain a thorough understanding of safety regulations and provide guidance on departmental and company policies and procedures
- Has good working knowledge of standard OSHA regulations and practices (e.g. Lock Out/Tag Out, Haz Comm)
- Maintains a variety of manual and electronic files related to facilities inspections and compliance reporting in order to comply with regulatory requirements
- Insures that the Maintenance Department tools, parts & equipment, and vehicles are well maintained and are able to meet intended objectives
- Maintains production and facilities on-hand spare parts inventory
- Obtains and reviews price quotes for the procurement of parts, services, and labor for various maintenance and facilities projects
- Has broad experience and familiarity with building HVAC, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, hydraulic/pneumatic and fire safety systems
- Ensure routine preventive maintenance on equipment is done
Qualifications, education and experience:
- At least 5 year’s supervisory experience in an industrial/manufacturing setting
- Able to analyze, plan and solve problems
- Able to read prints and drawings and have solid math and mechanical aptitude
- Able to work with minimal supervision and execute sound independent judgment
- Able to communicate effectively with diverse groups
About Steinway & Sons
Steinway & Sons was founded in 1853 by German immigrant Henry Engelhard Steinway in a Manhattan loft on Varick Street. Over the next thirty years, Henry and his sons, C. F. Theodore, Charles, Henry Jr., William, and Albert, developed the modern piano. They built their pianos one at a time, applying skills that were handed down from master to apprentice, generation after generation.
Today, we still build our pianos that way. Each Steinway grand piano, for example, takes nearly a year to create. Nothing is hurried. Even the carefully selected woods employed in the rims, tops, soundboards, and actions cure for months in our yard, kilns and conditioning rooms.
Steinway is dedicated to the ideal of making the finest pianos in the world. The result is instruments renowned for their unsurpassed quality. Pianos with such superior sound and responsive touch that they enchant the most demanding pianists. We are preferred overwhelmingly by people who share the joy of playing and owning the finest musical instrument — a joy which can be yours when you bring a Steinway into your life.
Steinway & Sons is an Equal Opportunity Employer.