The Mechanical Engineer is involved in high level engineering design to support product development or improvement activities in the engineering department.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Design – cabinet structure designing and mechanical system designing.
• Become familiar with our structural analysis approach to piano design.
• Develop and maintain an improved database of material specs, including component suppliers, for Steinway Custom Pianos
• Drafting – maintaining and updating drawings and creating 3D model when needed.
• Collaborate with manufacturing & engineering dept to design various parts, assemblies, tools, and fixtures used in piano manufacturing, using CAD.
• Test and analyze the design and performance of materials and equipment used to craft Steinway pianos.
• Provide engineering support to New Parts Stock and the Service Department.
• Assisting Service Department by designing and testing customers’ special requests, preparing repair kits for repairs.
• Confer with other engineers and personnel to implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, and provide technical information.
• Quality issues – creating reports for conditioning rooms (e.g. tuning stabilities, soundboard cracks, etc.) and inspecting current production pianos to look for improvements or defaults.
• Experiment – developing procedures and equipments for quality and reliability testing and safety standard testing.
• Use sound engineering principles and independent thinking to solve day-to-day manufacturing challenges.
• Develop complete design drawings and mechanical specifications; document and assist in specifying process operations.
• Create 3D models of piano parts and assemblies as well as tools and fixtures related to the making of these parts.
• Work closely with project team members to ensure project plan and timelines are being met
• Act as project manager on piano technical/manufacturing projects of various project scopes.
Skills & Qualifications Required:
• BS in Mechanical Engineering
• At least 2 to 4 years of experience, preferably in a related manufacturing environment
• Prior woodworking experience preferred
• Requires the ability read and interpret technical drawings, schematics, and computer generated reports
• Strong project management and skills and comfortability working with internal and external clients
• Good planning and organizational skills
• Interest in working with pianos
• Flexibility to travel occasionally
• Fluent in AutoCAD and NX software
• Familiar with Finite Element Modeling