This role is responsible for coordinating the research and development of projects related to the building of company or customer driven custom Steinway pianos.
• Coordinate and support the tracking and fabrication of non-standard pianos – including one-off specials, art cases, limited editions and special line extensions.
• Assist with the technical sourcing and development of suppliers and contractors in support of the manufacturing of the custom piano segment of the company’s market. Examples of partner/ contractors include: finishers, marquetry artisans, metal smiths, custom woodworkers, leather workers, fine artists etc.
• Work with Steinway’s Engineers and industrial designers to prototype proposed custom piano and features.
• Assist with establishing cost inputs based on quotations and internal labor estimates for pricing development
• Provide limited hands on woodworking customization on an as required basis.
• Develop custom woodworking processes including instruction to union associates engaged in standard and custom piano production. Consult on fixturing and tooling needs.
• Prepare sample panels and other sample parts to depicting the visual of customer and internally driven unique piano designs.
Qualifications, education and experience:
• Strong organizational and project management skills
• Undergraduate degree in a related field
• 3+ years of hands on experience with a wide range of woodworking, metalworking and finishing practices with strong working knowledge of these areas
• Ability to use simple CAD to generate simple drawings to document custom piano requirements
• Preferred experience with CNC programming and operation
• Ability to use Excel and other MS Office tools
• Good communication skills and have a keen attention to detail
• Able to operate independently as well as work as part of a team