Factory tours are offered from September through the end of June (please note that our tours are currently sold out until January of 2020). They occur on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and go from 9:30am until noon, for a maximum group of 18 people. The factory has a limited schedule, so tours must be booked in advance.
During the factory tour, you’ll witness the entire process of creating a Steinway, starting with the raw wood (maple, walnut, pear, spruce), to the various veneers (mahogany, rosewood, pommele), to the final tuning, and end with viewing a display of multiple Steinways in an acoustically sensitive setting.
The Steinway Factory Tour is a visit to a working factory, and because work is being done constantly and everywhere, there are conditions and restrictions for tour participants, so please note that:
- The factory is large and the tour covers a significant area. You must be able to stand and walk for one and a half to two hours. The tour includes 3-4 flights of stairs.
- Children under the age of 16 are not permitted on the Factory tour.
- There is neither seating nor rest areas available, and there are no restrooms available on the shop floor.
- Open shoes, sandals, flip flops, etc. are not permitted on the tour.
- Canes, walkers and wheelchairs are not permitted on the tour.
- Individuals with pacemakers or similar devices will not be allowed on the tour. (Factory equipment may interfere with the device.)
- Note that tour participants will be exposed to dust and chemical odors.
- Visitor parking is extremely limited near the factory. Street parking is an option, though it may be limited, too. The factory is about a 15-20 minute walk from the Ditmars N/Q line (the factory is a little over a mile from the subway).
- If visitor parking is full, there is a public parking garage, open 24/7. The garage entrance is located on Steinway Street off the corner of 20th Avenue (between 20th Avenue and 19th Avenue). Applicable fees apply.
- Photography is not permitted.
Please contact us at email@example.com with any questions.