Factory tours are offered from September through the end of June. They occur once a week on a Tuesday, and go from 9:30am until noon, for a maximum group of 16 people. The factory has a limited schedule, so tours must be booked in advance.
During the factory tour, you’ll witness the entire process of creating a Steinway, starting with the raw wood (maple, walnut, pear, spruce), to the various veneers (mahogany, rosewood, pommele), to the final tuning, and end with viewing a display of multiple Steinways in an acoustically sensitive setting.
The Steinway Factory Tour is a visit to a working factory, and because work is being done constantly and everywhere, there are conditions and restrictions for tour participants, so please note that:
- The factory is large and the tour covers a significant area. You must be able to stand and walk for one and a half to two hours. The tour includes 3-4 flights of stairs.
- Tour minimum age is 16 years old.
- There is neither seating nor rest areas available, and there are no restrooms available on the shop floor.
- Open shoes, sandals, flip flops, etc. are not permitted on the tour.
- Canes, walkers and wheelchairs are not permitted on the tour.
- Individuals with pacemakers or similar devices will not be allowed on the tour. (Factory equipment may interfere with the device.)
- Note that tour participants will be exposed to dust and chemical odors.
- Visitor parking is extremely limited near the factory. Street parking is an option, though it may be limited, too. The factory is about a 15-20 minute walk from the Ditmars N/Q line (the factory is a little over a mile from the subway).
- If visitor parking is full, there is a public parking garage, open 24/7. The garage entrance is located on Steinway Street off the corner of 20th Avenue (between 20th Avenue and 19th Avenue). Applicable fees apply.
- Photography is not permitted.
To schedule a tour, please contact us at email@example.com or 718-721-2600.
Tickets are $20 each. To purchase tickets, click below to go to our Eventbrite site.
Steinway & Sons
One Steinway Place,
Astoria, NY 11105
For a truly one-of-a-kind experience — join Steinway for a VIP Factory Tour. Limited to groups no larger than six, this tour is designed for pianists and connoisseurs and concludes with an exclusive white-glove Steinway selection experience.