The primary focus of this role is to oversee planning and procurement of materials, supplies, equipment and services to support business priorities for Steinway Americas. This role will lead initiatives to drive cost savings, improve service, delivery and lead times, reduce inventory investment and extend payment terms to Steinway. This role will also drive efficiencies to eliminate non-value added processes and improve controls in the procurement of direct and indirect materials and services.
• Lead material planning, requisition and orders with suppliers for direct materials, indirect material and outside services for production.
• Lead initiatives with suppliers and freight carriers to reduce cycle time from order-to-delivery.
Cost Savings and Quality
• Drive year-over-year cost reduction efforts utilizing emerging procurement processes including strategic sourcing processes, reverse auctions and etc.
• Develop and maintain database of item master records for key characteristics to drive cost savings and supplier negotiations.
• Explore opportunities to leverage vendors and sourcing across Steinway Musical Instruments.
• Act as key source of contact with suppliers with regards to delivery schedules, including expediting / pushing back deliveries based upon production requirements, negotiations on costs and terms, material redesign efforts and product and transactional quality. Follow through with suppliers to resolve open issues and drive improvements.
• Develop multi-sourcing strategy for materials where possible. The multi-sourcing strategy may provide more leverage to Steinway in negotiations and mitigate supplier risks.
• Lead supplier identification and selection process, including competitive bidding and request for proposal
• Lead inventory reduction efforts on raw materials. Drive improvements through effective policies, procedures and business processes surrounding manufacturing resource planning (MRP), master production scheduling (MPS), business system enhancements, supplier communications and etc.
• Lead negotiations to improve asset utilization with suppliers including supplier inventory investments, extended payment terms with early payment discounts, vendor managed inventory programs and consignment inventory programs.
• Manage assets and tooling at suppliers locations. Develop documentation noting Steinway and supplier obligations related to tooling including terms of ownership and use, maintenance schedules and replacement.
Indirect Material and Services
• Support Finance in efforts to reengineer the procure-to-pay cycle for indirect materials and services throughout the organization (Production, Retail, Concert Services & Technicians and Administration Departments). Update policies, procedures and business processes to automate manual efforts, improve controls and increase transactional integrity of requisitions, approvals and procurement of indirect materials and services.
• Lead business system initiatives to improve controls, automate transactions, improve cost saving and inventory investment and drive supplier performance. These business system enhancements are to include electronic workflows and approvals, dashboard reporting metrics with drill-down capabilities and supplier portals to communicate with suppliers more effectively.
Qualifications, education and experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain, Finance, Business Administration or a related field
• 8 - 10 years of experience in Purchasing, Procurement or Strategic Sourcing within a manufacturing environment using emerging technologies to support strategic sourcing initiatives.
• Experience using ERP systems
• Strong technical and Microsoft Office skills, especially MS Excel.
• A high degree of ethics and professionalism to ensure control of the company’s expenditures
• Ability to think critically and effectively solve problems
• Excellent analytical and planning skills
• Effective communicator – strong written and verbal skills, as well as ability to communicate across levels, both internally and externally
• Ability to work independently and take initiative
• Ability to meet deadlines, respond quickly to shifting priorities and use of sound judgment